We have all been advised that networking is an essential component for expanding our careers. Taking this advice, I have embraced multiple opportunities to attend different networking events within the Twin Cities area. I’ve found that engaging with groups of like-minded people is inspiring and I have gained valuable insights from professionals who share first-hand career-based experiences.
At these events, individuals at any stage of their careers will find a connection and benefit from the knowledge to enhance their professional growth. I recently had the opportunity to experience just that when I attended my first Marketers’ Community event, “Let’s get REAL with Women Who Lead”. The evening kicked off with open networking and followed with a dynamic panel discussion spotlighting four outstanding Minneapolis marketing executives.
These motivating women shared their professional journeys, including the challenges, opportunities, and moments of decision making. They provided a wealth of information regarding career and industry development.
Here are a few of the quotes and advice highlights from the panel:
- “Management is a job, leadership is an art.” Margaret Murphy
- “Sometimes you need to hear, you go girl, and sometimes you just need a kick in the a$$.” – Meredith Jurek
- We must remember “culture fit” doesn’t mean “like you.”
- Don’t be the person who does it all. If you do it all, you do it all well, find your niche and be great at it. – Jill Renslow
- Never assume people (especially leadership) knows where you want to go. Raise your hand and speak up.
- As a marketer, always be bringing new ideas to the table: Think as big as you can, regardless of the budget.
- Focus on what you can control. Sometimes the only thing we can control is the way we react to a situation.
- Take the time to be present in the moment. Looking back, 98% of your mentors, probably didn’t realize they were one at the time. Think about that as you lead, grow and advance your career.
Leaving the event that night, I felt inspired and rejuvenated.
Attending networking events and panel discussions, such as this one, offers an amazing opportunity to learn from others and apply that knowledge to better our own skills and enhance development within our industry.
Through these events, the participants provide inspiration for creative ideas and updates on the latest trends, along with the opportunity to expand your network and create valuable connections.
Busy schedules challenge our commitment to attend industry events like this one. However, the inspiration, motivation and shared knowledge provides an incredible tool for professional growth.
I would recommend the Marketers’ Community events if your looking to expand your mindset and enhance your professional career.